Voluntary Emissions Testing

This program provides quick, free emissions checks for vehicle owners and assists owners of high emitters with having their vehicles serviced. The Waste Reduction and Technology Transfer Foundation is the lead partner in this program.

Times 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Express Oil Service Center locations and Texaco Xpress Lube locations in Jefferson and Shelby Counties. All Emissions Testing Locations are subject to change due to weather conditions or other unforeseen circumstances.

Vehicle to be tested must be driven at least 10 minutes prior to the test in order to get accurate results.
Cold vehicle engines will not give accurate readings.

Qualified Repairs under the test program are determined by the emissions test. Below are the acceptable exhaust emission readings (only CO, NOx, and HC are considered pollutants):

  • Carbon Dioxide (CO2): 13 – 16%
  • Carbon Monoxide (CO): less than 0.5%
  • Oxygen (O2): 0.3 – 1.5%
  • Hydrocarbons (HC): less than 100 ppm
  • Nitrogen Oxides (NOx): less than 100 ppm

Car Care Program

The Car Care Program pays 80% of the qualified repairs, up to a maximum of $500. The car owner’s responsibility will be the remaining 20%. However, If the cost of qualified repairs exceeds the 80/20 example, the entirety of the excess cost will be the car owner’s responsibility. Examples of qualified repairs under this program include, but are not limited to, oxygen sensors, catalytic converters, diagnostics, or others deemed necessary by testing officials.

Qualified repairs under this program are to be determined by the repair shops through diagnostics or other means.

The following are not covered under this program

  • Vehicles over 10 years.
  • Vehicles that are currently under manufacturer’s warranty or other extended warranties
  • Replacement of mufflers.

This Week's Free Emissions Testing

No emissions tests are currently scheduled. Testing will return in March.

*Subject to certain conditions | View entire calendar

What We Monitor

Ground-level Ozone

Ground-level ozone is formed when nitrogen oxides (NOx) and volatile organic compounds (VOCs) react in the presence of heat and sunlight. While ground-level ozone is a health and environmental problem, ozone in the stratosphere (six to 30 miles above the earth) is beneficial. It shields the Earth from the sun's harmful ultraviolet radiation.

Particle Pollution

Particle pollution, or particulate matter (PM2.5), comes from some of the same sources as NOx and VOCs, including power plants and factories, motor vehicles (especially older diesel vehicles) and others. Particle pollution is also created by wood burning, construction activity and agriculture. Unlike ground-level ozone, particle pollution occurs year-round.

Read more about Air Quality.

Contact

Phone: 205.251.8139
Fax: 205.328.3304
Site: www.alabamacleanair.com
Address: Alabama Partners for Clean Air
2 20th St N Suite
Suite 1200
Birmingham, AL 35203